They seem to be rife throughout the internets…
Some little remembered facts about Quayle… (from Wikipedia)
- Bush was trailing by as much as 15 points to Dukakis before the Republican Convention in 88.
- Senator John McCain, said of Quayle “I can’t believe a guy that handsome wouldn’t have some impact.”
- Sure enough, post convention the Bush/Quayle got a bump, and never trailed.
- Despite the well remembered gaffe in the VP debate (“You are no Jack Kennedy”), Quayle wasn’t remembered for being compared to Lloyd Bentsen in the experience question.
- The Bush/Quayle ticket went on to win the November election with a 53–46 margin by sweeping 40 states and capturing 426 electoral votes.
So, be careful with the Quayle comparisons… Remember Bush/Quayle won. It was Bush Sr. that killed his re-election chances with the ‘No New Taxes’ flub.